Saturday, January 30, 2010

yskov





Danny was always telling me about different books to check out and read and authors he thought I might like. I remember when he first told me about Dave Eggers and how I needed to read his book You Shall Know Our Velocity. So in my "hey I'm going to Borders to get a coffee and a book on Sunday" fashion I did just that-only to let it sit on the shelf for over 2 years. But, when life handed me the free time to unfortunately dwell on all the "what ifs" and try and dig up fossils of the past when you sit at work pretty much doing nothing I decided it was more than past time to see what Danny saw in this book. It is a hard read, especially with everything that has happened within the past 6 months, but I can honestly say I have never had a book relate so powerfully to me not just on a personal level but on an inspirational level as well. Too many coincidences and memories flow through the text into real life-which for me is what I tend to look for when I'm turning page after page. I don't think this book is for everyone, but if you have the kind of friends that I do and know the understanding of trying to search for more than whats on the surface and sift through the shit to find whats true, false and in between then you should read this book, because it honestly is all about what matters most-giving up your ghosts and loving the shit out life.

-You were right Danny, I needed to read this book

"1.Thoughts are made of water, and water always finds a way.
2.If you can't dodge the water, run.
3. There are bears and there are small dogs. Be strong like bear! If they take out your teeth, sit on the dogs. Bears always forget they can just sit on the dogs. Sit on the dogs!
4. If your house is haunted bring in your friends and start tearing the walls down. How can they haunt a house that you take apart? Aha!"

1 comment:

  1. and i quote... " Too many coincidences and memories flow through the text into real life-which for me is what I tend to look for when I'm turning page after page."

    yup- just went to the library, checked it out-.
    im stoked. thanks man, thank you Danny.

    ReplyDelete