Monday, August 17, 2009

dirty old town


Cape Vincent, NY - "Home of the Gamey Black Bass" is where I grew up. My parents bought the house my father's grandfather owned and where he spent summers and part of his high school career around the time I was turning 8yrs old. He fixed up the house which was falling apart when they bought it and turned it back into the home it had been for him as a child. I remember not hating it there growing up, just not really appreciating it. My friends I would kill time in the summer before we were required to get jobs by playing bike tag throughout the neighborhood or jumping off the Ferry boat which goes back and forth between Wolf Island Ontario and my little town. It was either that or find some stupid way to get into trouble without having your parents find out, which in a small town is pretty much not possible. As I got older into middle school I started skating more and more and Vorce ended up moving to Cape when I was in 8th grade which helped because trying to learn new shit alone by watching old 411 videos sucked balls. As we got older we found pretty much everything and anything to skate in town including coming up with some of the some of the stupidest spots-full of tree wallies and side cross walk "gaps." There wasnt much to do at night after we'd all get out of work, so sitting downtown on the bench in front of the Post Office, drinking beers and skating while our local friends compared notes on their car stereos and tried to out do each other with bass listening to Scarface or 36 Chambers. Either that or we'd spend our nights hasseling Vorces mom at Roxy's playing pool and sneaking beers from someones car out front. It was your typical small town-nothing to do bullshit, but it was all we could do. I look back now and wish i paid more attention to what i had in front of me sitting on those docks or driving to Tibetts Point Light House pretending I was a writer-always thinking about leaving and what else was out there. I'm glad the town pushed me out of it but whenever i go back i can't help but feel like i was one of the luckiest people on earth to be able to have spent so many years of my life in such a small but powerful little part of the world. I've got some of the best friends and memories anyone could ever ask because of that town and someday I hope my little girl can say the same. Thanks.

CSP Forever







ps: Vorce still can't skate

No comments:

Post a Comment